Sunday, October 5, 2008

Is it Still Cool?

Is riding around playing loud music from your car still considered cool or am I just getting old?

I was listening to the latest CD from TobyMac (a contemporary Christian music guy). He has a great sound and a great message to share. The best part is you can actually understand his lyrics! His music is so energizing and it really gets you going. Why do you instantly feel the need to turn it up?

When they started putting radios in cars I can imagine this was the thing to do to show off your new gadget. Now, everyone has a radio, CD player and MP3 connection in the car so why do we still need to crank it up? Is it about the music? Is it about a need to feel the beat in your body from the bass? Is it to get attention or a way to share with others what you are in to?

When I am driving and I hear people blasting their music I always have thoughts about how silly and immature those people are yet today I found myself among them. It is no secret how bad prolonged exposure to high volumes are for your hearing and I certainly don't advocate doing this often.

Nothing is wrong with appreciating a good song or wanting to share it. Maybe the instinct to play it loud is just a way to tell everyone driving around you, "You can be cool at any age and there is nothing like a good song--check this one out!"

No comments: